Brooklyn Daily Eagle, May 5, 1888, p. 2 ("Houses - Lots")
The row of five can be seen today on the north side of President Street, just west of 7th Avenue. All remain, in original condition; the photograph below shows two of them and the others may be seen in our photo album for this side of the block:
A later Eagle article, from March 24, 1889, notes the completion of this row, and two other nearby rows of houses:
The second row, next to the row above, and also completed in 1889 by Martin & Lee, originally comprised six "swell front" houses. Only three remain; the others were apparently demolished and replaced by the 1926 addition to St. Francis Xavier's original 1914 school building, further down the block:
Two of the remaining three have unfortunately lost their stoops and cornices, most likely when they were merged into an apartment house.
Across the street, all four of an original row of "sharp front" houses remain. The Eagle article indicates that they were completed in 1889 by Henry S. Lansdell:
Three of these classic brownstone-front Neo-Grec houses are in perfect condition, including original stoop ironwork.