Why this Blog Exists

To make the case for expanding the Park Slope Historic District

Sunday, February 1, 2009

"Something quite different" in First Street

We've always loved First Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues, one of Park Slope's amazingly beautiful blocks. Long ranks of brownstones shoulder together on either side of the street. This entire block has been unaccountably overlooked by the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission.

On the south side of the eastern end of the block, a long block of ten houses was constructed in 1885 by developers Conway & Mowbray; three of these are shown here:

358-356-354 First Street - unprotected

The Brooklyn Daily Eagle of October 8, 1885, contains an extensive interior description of these fine houses:

Brooklyn Daily Eagle, October 8, 1885, p. 2 ("Houses")

The entire row of ten houses still stands in First Street, unchanged since they were first constructed over 120 years ago.

No comments: