Fortunately they are very handsome houses, despite having lost their original stoops. We love the rounded door- and window-hoods, and the tall parlor windows that drop all the way to the floor, so characteristic of Italianate style:
It turns out these are some of the earliest houses standing in Park Slope. According to the Brooklyn Daily Eagle of December 1, 1870, they were built by Mr. C. B. Sheldon, who as we have seen later became very active in 7th Avenue:
We suspect the decorative window and door hoods may be made of cast iron; Professor Andrew Dolkart has called our attention to similar cast iron elements of contemporary buildings in Clinton Hill. It would be interesting to hold up a magnet and see if it sticks. If any of our readers could test this theory, please let us know!:
All five of the buildings in this row still stand; the others can be seen in our photo album for the block.
How confident are we about this attribution? Well, their late Italianate style is appropriate for the year of the Eagle article (1870); the buildings are two story over basement, as cited in the article; and they are the only group of five brick-front houses on the block. The article could not refer to any other buildings on the block. The attribution seems firm to us.