Why this Blog Exists

To make the case for expanding the Park Slope Historic District

Friday, May 14, 2010

Original Building Plans: 7th Avenue & 14th Street

A while ago we visited an 1887 row of 5 mixed-use buildings on the southwest corner of 14th Street and 7th Avenue. The row was designed by architect W. H. Wirth for local builder Sampson B. Oulton.

424-430 7th Avenue
W. H. Wirth, architect - 1887
Sampson B. Oulton, owner/builder

Below is a photograph of the actual architect's rendering of the corner building, 424 7th Avenue. It was taken by one of our intrepid researchers in the Brooklyn Department of Buildings.

Plans - 424 7th Avenue

The legend across the top of the rendering reads, in distinctive "architect script":

House for Mr. S. B. Oulton
Scale [?] S W cor. 7th Ave. & 14th St. Bklyn

The rendering shows only a single entrance, to the ground-floor commercial space; a corner mixed-use building such as this one would normally place the entrance to the upstairs flats around the corner, at the back of the building.

The adjacent buildings in the row, lacking a corner exposure, would have two entrances at the ground floor facing 7th Avenue, one to the commercial space and the other to the upstairs flats.

428 7th Avenue, part of this same 1887 row by Wirth & Oulton, still boasts what appears to be the original storefront. The storefront details, still extant in 2010, are very similar to those in the 1887 architectural rendering above. The central door admits to the commercial space, while the door to the left leads to the upstairs flats. The ground floor is framed by cast-iron pilasters:

428 7th Avenue - detail

There are not many of these original storefronts left in Park Slope; the few that remain are great treasures.

Our researchers are busy photographing everything within our Historic District Expansion Study Areas that can be found at the Brooklyn Department of Buildings. It is our hope someday to upload as much of this material as we can onto the web.

No comments: