To reach the upper-floor flats, one enters a door behind a Romanesque archway off 7th Avenue. The entrance behind the arch is lined with what appear to be original half-height wooden panels, which make for an altogether extremely handsome doorway:
According to the American Architect and Building News, the apartment house was constructed in 1892-93 to plans by architect L. Anderson; the owners are listed as "Gold, Nicoll, & Anderson":
"Building Intelligence; Houses; Brookly n, N. Y.," AABN vol. 38, no. 884 (Dec. 3, 1892): p. 7.
– "Third St., n e cor. Seventh Ave., five-st’y brick store and dwell., tin roof; cost, $16,000; owners, Gold, Nicoll & Anderson, Third St. and Third Ave.; architect, L. Anderson, 33 Cornelia St."
"Building Intelligence; Houses; Brooklyn, N. Y.," AABN vol. 36, no. 858 (Jun. 4, 1892): p. 3.
– "Third St., n s, 29' e Seventh Ave., 4 three-st’y brick dwells., tin roofs; cost, $6,000 each; owner and builder, Julius Anderson; architect, Lewis Anderson."
One wonders: could "Lewis Anderson," architect of the adjacent row of 4 townhouses in 3rd Street, be the same architect ("L. Anderson") who designed the corner apartment house at 7th Avenue, which was constructed around the same time? It seems highly likely to us.