Our attribution for these buildings comes from the August, 1894 New York Times:
This row of course exhibits all the classic characteristics of Bonert's flat houses, including the brick-arched top-floor windows, the "Green Man" terra cotta facade panels placed beneath the windows, and the brownstone-faced first floor with inset clustered columns flanking the doorway:
One suspects that Louis Bonert was a member of the congregation, since the article notes his sizeable subscription of $1,000 toward the $13,000 purchase price.
St. Matthew's Church, previously noted on this blog, was soon erected on the site. The Times article notes that Charles A. Schieren, Mayor of the independent City of Brooklyn in 1894-95, was a Trustee of St. Matthew's Church. Schieren had lost a daughter in childhood and donated a stained-glass window in her memory which was installed in the church building.
Our Bonerts are peeking out from behind the right-hand side of the church in the photograph below:
Finally, the Times article notes that Bonert's broker, John Pullman, maintained his office at 741 Union Street. The address is approximately where "Uncle Louis G's" ice cream emporium appears in the photograph below (blue and white stripes):