Why this Blog Exists

To make the case for expanding the Park Slope Historic District

Saturday, March 14, 2009

2009 House Tour: 759 Carroll Street

759 Carroll Street is one of a row of eight neo-Grec houses begun in 1886 by neighborhood architect-builder John Magilligan. Each house is three stories over raised basement, faced with brownstone, and features a full-height, two-sided bay. The entire row is within the current Park Slope Historic District.

759 Carroll Street - Park Slope Historic District

In 1887 this new, "first class" house and its next-door neighbor, "all improvements complete", were offered for sale by Magilligan in an advertisement placed in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle.

Brooklyn Daily Eagle, September 4, 1887

Oddly, the address of this house does not appear in the 1897 Lain's Brooklyn Directory.

In 1898, on the very same day, an interesting conjunction of advertisements appeared in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle: a "Situation Wanted", from an employee of 759 Carroll Street, and also a "Help Wanted" from the residents, seeking a replacement employee. One hopes that the termination of the business relationship was amicable:

Brooklyn Daily Eagle, April 21, 1898

At any rate, it is clear that the residents in 1898 included two children. A subsequent "Help Wanted" advertisement from May 12, 1902, requested a "Swedish girl" with flexibility to accompany the family to the country.

It is quite possible that the two children of the 1898 "Help Wanted" advertisement included Maguerite Limond and William Stewart Limond, Jr., children of Mr. and Mrs. William Stewart Limond. Some years later, in 1914, the New York Times recorded the marriage of Miss Marguerite Limond to the Rev. H. A. L. Sadtler in St. Johns Episcopal Church. The wedding reception was held at 759 Carroll Street, the home of the bride's parents:

New York Times, June 11, 1914

Maguerite Limond Sadtler's husband was for many years rector of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Rahway, New Jersey. But in June, 1939, Rev. Sadtler died, and his wife Marguerite and daughters Margaret and Jean moved back to Marguerite's childhood home, 759 Carroll Street, to live with Marguerite's by-then-widowed mother. Mrs. Limond herself died in October, 1939, and her passing was noted in the New York Times:

New York Times, October 6, 1939

Marguerite remained at 759 Carroll Street, the house where she grew up. On January 4, 1942, the New York Times recorded the wedding of her daughter, Jean Sadtler:

New York Times, January 4, 1942

One wonders whether Jean Sadtler's wedding reception was held, like that of Marguerite Limond, her mother, in the parlors of 759 Carroll Street?

Thus can one house shelter succeeding generations of the same family over the years.

No comments: