We turn first to the southwest corner, where we find yet another Bonert ensemble comprising a brownstone-faced mixed-use building adjoining a row of four "single-flat" apartment houses:
Once again in this row we recognize classic Bonert characteristics including:
o Four-story brick "flat houses" adjoining brownstone-faced corner mixed-use building
o Apartments feature three "fancy brick" stories over a brownstone first floor
o Clustered inset Romanesque columns flanking the doorway
o Brick-arched windows at the top story
o Terra cotta panels (including our friend the "Green Man") below the windows
o Continous cornice detail across the entire row
Old photographs reveal that many of these projecting corner window bays in Park Slope once boasted similar superstructures, now nearly all gone. The one at 6th Avenue and 3rd Street is a rare survivor.
The New York Times in 1894 reported that Bonert traded the corner building to Mrs. Catherine Connor for another, smaller house and for "other considerations".
Access to the upper stories of the mixed-use building is via a doorway facing 6th Avenue, at the back of the building. Bonert here employs precisely the same classical doorway that he used previously in nearby 6th Avenue, except here executed in brownstone: